This is thought # 43
Dear family:
I just had a successful cataract surgery on the left eye. Yet still true that “Faith is to believe what we do not see . . .” Nando.
The Problem of Pleasing People
It was Montaigne who remarked that “a man had need of tough ears to hear himself freely judged.”
Regardless of how careful and conscientious a man may be, someone is almost always sure to misunderstand his actions and attitudes and utterances. When he is liberal with his means, someone will almost surely suggest that he is overly extravagant. If he is conscientiously careful with his money, someone will almost surely say that he is miserly. If a person’s views are more liberal than ours, we may brand him as being “too liberal.” If his views arte more conservative than ours, we may assume that he is “too conservative.” When a person favours our position, we may refer to him as fair-minded. When he opposes our position, we probably pronounce him prejudiced.
And in all honesty, must we not admit the possibility of our condemning in an enemy what we condone in a friend. And the chances are that we ourselves do many things that we resent in others. If a person does nothing, people will find fault with what he doesn’t do; if he does something, they will find fault with what he does do. And while part of the people may applaud what we do part of the time, it is more than probable that part of the people will surely disapprove what we do at any time.
When, therefore, we are attempting to please other people (or when other people are attempting to please us), we must remember that no mortal man ever lived (and that includes all of us) who has ever pleased anyone all the time – not even himself. No matter what course a person pursues, someone will wonder why he didn’t do something different. And so about the best we can do is to conduct ourselves conscientiously according to our best knowledge and sincere convictions and keep our minds always honestly open to the possibility of our own errors- and hope that other men will forgive us our mistakes as we forgive them theirs.
And remember always that a man has need of “tough ears” to hear himself freely judged by others. (Richard L. Evans)
Quotation:
“We have been endowed by our Creator with the ability to learn and live his laws, and so we do so our power to enlarge our spiritual capacity increases.” Marion G. Romney
I will learn......
He who keeps trying may not always win but he’ll never lose. David B. Bly.
Humorous quotation:
I always get the better when I argue alone. Oliver Goldsmith
All the really good ideas I ever had came to me while I was milking a cow. Grant Wood
City life: millions of people being lonesome together. Henry D. Thoreau
Joke:
I don’t know who wired our house, but every time the phone rings, the lights dim.
.....................................
BARBER: “Haven’t I shaved you before, sir?
CUSTOMER: “No, I got that scar in the war.”
.......................................
A Kindergarten teacher was observing her classroom of children while they were drawing. She would occasionally walk around to see each child's work.
As she got to one little girl who was working diligently, she asked what the drawing was.
The girl replied, "I'm drawing God."
The teacher paused and said, "But no one knows what God looks like."
Without missing a beat, or looking up from her drawing, the girl replied, "They will in a minute."
.....................................
I happened to walk into a neighbour’s house not long ago, when a mother was entertaining her little boy.
As I came into the room, the little boy was shouting “Bang! Bang! and the mother was slumping to the floor.
But when she did not rise after a moment or two, I went over to her and said: “Can I help you?”Her answer was: “Quiet! This is the only chance I get for a rest!”
Nando’s recycle bin:
Self-appraisal
It was a hot sultry night. A young man entered a drug store, asked the proprietor to change a bill, entered a phone booth and dialled a number. For better ventilation he left the door of the boot ajar.
The druggist couldn’t help overhearing the conversation.
“Hello,” said the young man, “it is Superior 3344?” “It is?” “Then may I talk to de boss.” “You say this is the boss?” “Well, then can you tell me, do you need a good office boy?” “You say you have a good one?” “Well wouldn’t you like to make a change; it might be for the better.” “What’s that?” “You say you don’t care to make a change?” “O.K., that’s all right, thank you.”
The young man hung up and proceeded to leave the store but before he got out, the proprietor stopped him.
“You’ll have to forgive me but I couldn’t help overhearing that conversation” he said. “I’m sorry you didn’t land that job – better luck next time.”
“Thanks very much for your interest,” replied the lad, “don’t worry, everything is all right. That was my boss I was talking to. I was only checking up on myself.”
The world has a way of giving what is demanded of it. If you are frightened and look for failure and poverty, you will get them, no matter how hard you may try to succeed. Lack of faith in yourself, in what life will do for you, cuts you off from the good things of the world. Expect victory and you make victory. Nowhere is this truer than in business life, where bravery and faith bring both material and spiritual rewards. (Dr. Preston Bradley)
No comments:
Post a Comment