I found a great treasure the other day when working in the oldest school in the City! The school is well over 100 years old and the books in the library are, well, some pretty close to that. But the one I checked out was published in or around 1966! It's a cookbook that shares all of "Grandma's" little secrets! One of the best parts about this cookbook is that it doesn't have all the modern day healthy hints and calorie-wise restrictions! So what you're eating tastes as good as it gets!
The pancakes I made for JT's 10th Birthday Breakfast were wonderful! A little too much oil, a little too many eggs, but they were the best results I've had from a pancake recipe yet!
In the beginning of the cookbook under the subtitle, 'Oven Temperatures' this is what is written:
"You have an easier time being a good cook than your grandmothers had because most ovens have temperature controls. (If your oven doesn't have a heat control, use a tested oven thermometer.) You don't have to guess how hot the oven is."
It's got all the basics! Such as:
-How to beat egg whites
-How to whip cream
-How to prepare foods
-How to test for doneness
-How yeast works
-How to Slice Breads
And wonderful facts that I'd never have known thought I don't believe is still the way it's done:
"Flavor With Orchids - Pure vanilla that you buy in bottles is the extract of the seeds of an orchid that is native to Mexico. The ancient Aztec Indians there discovered how good the taste and fragrance of these seeds were when added to foods. Early Spanish explorers liked vanilla, too, and they introduced it to Europe. Imitation vanilla is made of entirely different substances that imitate the vanilla flavor."
And one more before the Cupcakes burn:
"The world's oldest known cookbook was written in ancient Greece, where good food was considered an important part of good living. The cookbook, written for the wealthy people, was in several volumes and dealt with other things than cooking, including the etiquette of eating."
By the way, the cupcakes, Delicious!!
No comments:
Post a Comment